Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Solidworks

So Im and I are both deeply engrossed with our Thesis work at the moment (and will be until May). I've spent the last few weeks trying to teach myself a new piece of software...Solidworks is a parametric based modeling program that allows for a design to be controlled by potentially intricate and flexible relationships. Its kinda like if Autocad and Excel gave birth to a genius child. Autocad is capable of modeling but the model is dumb, a Solidworks model is self aware. The model pictured below knows that it is sheet metal, and when I tell it to bend in a certain place it knows that 11 Ga. steel bends with a particular radius, not a perfectly crisp sharp edge. So you don’t draw the bend but input the parameters of the bend and it models the results. I also built the model with certain design variables. When I want to change one of those variables the model then changes itself to conform to those modifications. For example, the part below has a few slots; I created those slots by referring the model to a "slot width" value, which is 1/4". There is also an overall "edge offset" value, which partially controls how close the outset edge comes to those slots; it is set at 1/2". This model is a part of a clamp which I have designed to accommodate material as thin as 1/4" and as thick as 2-1/8".

On the left hand side of the image you can see some of the variables I mentioned above. If
I edit those equations and change the slot width to 1/16", the edge offset to 1/4" and the max surface to 1" the model changes the open-ended aspects of its form to accommodate those new parameters...

Pretty cool huh?
So I am hoping that this tool, coupled with the plasma cutting capabilities of my CNC will allow for a smooth design/prototype redesign/prototype cycle with each of the Domestic Clamps.

No comments: